Season 2 premiere on Wednesday, September 20th, 2017, at 10/9c, before moving to Thursdays at 8:30/7:30c
By Gabrielle Pantera
HOLLYWOOD, CA (Hollywood Daily Star) 2017/9/20 – “There’s something wonderful about coming back,” says The Good Place star Ted Danson. “Even though you don’t admit it, there’s a part of you that holds back, that says I’m going to wait to see if I get to continue to play with these sweet people. Then you do, and it’s…ah. It’s pretty cool.”
“Now you get to see Michael behind the curtain,” says Danson. “Before all you saw was the presentation of Michael. You never got to see him have a private moment. It’s more fun to have more sides. Michael was one-dimensional last year, right up until the end. He was, hey, I’m a good guy. And this year you get to see a very complicated demon. Don’t you love it?”
The first season of The Good Place ended with a twist. It literally reboots the beginning of the second season.
Ethics as the first season’s theme. The twist at the end of the first season was that the good place is really the bad place. Michael can wipe everyone’s minds as he reboots Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani and Jason’s stories. In the second season, Michael is trying to see if he can psychologically torture the four, see just how bad they’ll be. No pressure, if he fails then Satan will toss him into the sun to be incinerated.
Danson’s switch to show his bad side most of the time is thwarted by Eleanor, Chidi, Jason and Tahani. Since the situation is different, they are acting differently too.
This season’s theme seems to be try and try again. What seems missing in the first episode of season two is heart.
- Kristen Bell is Eleanor Shellstrop she dies and is told she’s in the good place. Eleanor realizes she’s not the right Eleanor Shellstrop and they got the wrong one. Eleanor is smart and really tries to be good, but she’s also got a strong personality that makes it hard to not be herself. She’s also pretty smart and good at convincing others to go along with her ideas.
- Ted Danson is Michael he’s in charge of the Good Place. He’s got the ability to change things and play with people’s minds. He’s trying to keep control of everything or it’s his job on the line.
- William Jackson Harper is Chidi he’s always had a problem making a decision as well has he struggles with being ethical.
- Manny Jacinto is Jason he’s not the smartest bulb, but occasionally has words of wisdom that propel the story.
- Jameela Jamil is Tahani a beautiful philanthropist who’s good at hiding her narcissistic tendencies.
- D’Arcy Carden is Janet the intelligent personal assistant who also gets rebooted each time the rest of the characters do.